|Sir Arthur Evans (far left)|
Evans also took to heart the myths of Homeric epics. These stories led Arthur Evans to Crete guided by the tale of Theseus and the Minotaur. Following up on a lead of Minos Kalokairinos who had uncovered ruins at Knossos a few years, Evans started excavating in 1899. The finds at Knossos proved to be spectacular, revealing an intricate maze of buildings, pottery, pillars and frescoes. In keeping with Homeric myth, Evans dubbed the ruins at Knossos the “Palace of Minos” and gave the name “Minoan” to the civilization of Bronze Age Crete.
By the end of 1903 he had uncovered most of the palace and began his work on the surrounding area, completing the reconstruction of the palace in 1938.
|Throne room before reconstruction|
|Throne room after reconstruction|